Friday 1 March 2013

Conversations with ........

The lovely Josefa at always Josefa is hosting her monthly linky - "Conversations with ....." - this month it is conversations with my hairdresser.

Due to the fact that my hair has always been extremely straight, when I find a good hairdresser who knows how to cut straight hair, I tend to stick with them rather than try someone new.  For all that I am not really fussed about clothes or shoes, I cannot stand my hair being badly cut !

Anyway, the hairdresser that I went to when we first arrived in Australia was a lovely lady BUT it got to the point where she was too vain to wear glasses and I would get home and have to give myself a tidy up trim because there were bits and pieces all over the place that she had missed.

Then, through a fellow therapist, I found another hairdresser.  Someone who worked from her salon at home.  Someone who worked a couple of evenings a week.  Someone who could cut straight hair.  And I went to her.  What I didn't know was that she could talk the hind leg off a donkey !!!  She doesn't keep quiet from the minute you walk in there to when you leave which can be a little annoying when sometimes, after a day at work, I just want peace and quiet.  Never mind, she can cut straight hair and so I put up with it.

I have probably been going to her for about 8 or 9 years now and in all that time I have only ever really had my hair trimmed - until 2011.  In the past I have had hair styles from pixie to bobs to half way down my back, to Princess Di side sweeps, peanut perms, highlights, lowlights, semis - I have never been blonde and I have never dyed my hair but other than that I have pretty much given most things a try - except with her.  With her I had only ever had my hair trimmed and a semi put through it.

In January 2011, I applied for and was appointed to the job that I am currently in.  My hair was half way down my back.  Thick, dark and in really good condition.  A week before I was due to start in this role, I decided a change was as good as a holiday, new job, new hairstyle - so made an appointment and went to see her.

After telling her what I wanted, she spent the next 20 mins checking to make sure that was what I really wanted.  I don't know if she was trying to convince me or herself but I told her I wanted to go ahead with it.  Eventually she obliged and I went from having hair half way down my back to a pixie cut.  Luckily my weight was down at the time and so it really suited me.  The first day at my new job they didn't recognise me when I walked in the door as my hair had been long at both the interviews that I had been to !!!

I have never seen anyone so nervous to cut my hair as she was that day.  My theory is that it will always grow back so, be daring and see what happens.

Thanks Josefa for hosting - always good to have a lovely linky to prompt me !!!!

Have the best weekend - to those on the Gold Coast, I believe we are in for another wet weekend which sucks big time.  I want some sun to come out !!!

TFTD : Don't change so people will like you.  Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.

10 comments:

  1. She was probably worried you would hate it and regret it. Cutting off medium to long hair is quite psychological for alot of people. Me for one! I have never had short hair. Shoulder length is the shortest I have had. I just can't do it, yet I know as I get older I will have to take the plunge at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably Sophie - she wouldn't believe that I did stuff like this regularly !!! A has driven past me in the street where I was waiting for him to collect me because I had gone from a peanut perm past my shoulders to a pixie cut and hadn't told him I was having it down - I had to run down the road and catch up to him when he stopped at the stop sign at the end of the road !!!
      Have the best weekend !
      Me

      Delete
  2. I completely agree - hair grows back - so go for it!! Huge step to go from long, long hair to pixie cut - I've done pixie and my husband adores it - keeps asking me to cut it super short - at the moment I can't seem to be anything but a bob. Hope that you have a lovely weekend too, sunny and gorgeous in Melbourne this weekend
    Thank you so much for linking up to #convocoffee Josefa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk Josefa - yeah I figure it'll grow again so why not give it a try !!!
      Have the best weekend !
      Me

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted a pixie cut but until the weight comes off I feel like my head is too big :) Hope you're having an incredible weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling only too well - when I lose weight this time I may go back to short as I am getting on a little now !!!
      Have a great weekend !
      Me

      Delete
  4. Hope it does not rain for 2 weeks, when we come over, maybe we can meet at sometime, end of July early August we are there. Have a happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope it doesn't rain while you are here too - that would be awful !!!!
      I would love to catch up with you for sure - we will definitely make a date that works for us.
      Have a great weekend !
      Me

      Delete
  5. Oh and I have finally found a good hairdresser in Tauranga though, an older englishman going bald but he is excellent at hair lol....

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOod to hear - I love the new colour you have gone - looks good !
    Me

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments - please feel free to leave a comment to let me know you were here !
Have the best day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...